Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Our house is primarily mint green. I knew that, but I didn't know that it had drop-lap siding and a full complement of Eastlake details, such as turned columns, an elaborate frieze and decorative millwork of all varieties.

I learned this from the property section of the local paper, where one of the journalists (who calls herself Streetwalker), has the enviable job of wandering around town looking at houses and writing about them. Last Saturday, she chose the 600 block of Spain Street, which is where we live.

I know I'm biased, but it is a beautiful house. The landlord has won an award for his sensitive restoration, with details picked out in many different shades of green, and if we're not sitting outside, the tour buses slow down to let people take pictures.

And I know our good friend Jay next door will be flattered to hear himself described as the muscled man taking out the garbage. He often walks around with no shirt, ostensibly because the weather is hot, but really because he knows that every straight woman and gay guy on the block would love to get their hands on his sixpack.

2 comments:

  1. haha, that's great. I saw the article online. you really do have a beautiful place. hope to visit sometime in the not too distant future. and, we'll be glad to see you back in Portland sometime, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I just get more and more envious as I read on. I pine for a Southern veranda. Not likely to get one anytime soon, living in the Netherlands.

    ReplyDelete