Saturday, October 17, 2009

Every so often Louisiana makes international headlines, and it's always for the wrong reasons. That's partly because even in 2009, more than fifty years after the end of Jim Crow segregation, this state has way more than its fair share of redneck racists.

Two years ago, the world's press beat a path to the little town of Jena, where a handful of nooses hanging from a tree proved that the racial fault lines of the Deep South still lay close to the surface.

More recently, the state's lukewarm electoral support for Barack Obama had undoubted racial roots; Jimmy Carter was right to point out that many people hate him for the colour of his skin. Only 14 percent of whites voted for him in Louisiana. Many of those were in New Orleans, a haven of relative tolerance, and he received a rapturous reception when he visited on Thursday.

This week, a justice of the peace in the town of Hammond took his place in the international spotlight after refusing to grant a mixed-race couple a marriage licence, on the grounds that their union was doomed to failure. Keith Bardwell began his justification with the words "I'm not a racist". Nine times out of ten, this is followed by a "but", and so he continued: "I just don't believe in mixing the races that way. I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom."

As I said in my previous post, this is a wonderful place in which to live. But I still despair of it on a regular basis.

1 comment:

  1. His comment is so telling, and so reminiscent of my grandparents. "They use my bathroom." Well, duh. Why is this a laudable quality? The very wording reveals a racism so deeply seated he probably isn't aware of it himself.

    If it brings you any cheer, my parents were raised by dyed-in-the-wool racists (some virulent, others clueless like JOP Bardwell), and they managed not to pass it on to my sister and me. Of course we absorbed the ambient racism around us, but my parents were careful to teach us otherwise. It's taking abominably long, but the American South is getting there.

    ReplyDelete