Tuesday, August 7, 2007

New Orleans

I hope no employees of the department of homeland security are reading this, because I'm about to be rather uncomplimentary about one of their number.

We're back home after several weeks of me introducing Pam to family and friends in England, where she appears to passed their intense scrutiny with flying colours, sunning ourselves on the beach in France, and Pam introducing me to her family in Tennessee (of which more anon).

I've always been aware of the enormous privilege my 18-month, multiple-entry visa represents - most people only get six months, and I never take this generosity for granted. But this time, I only got back into the country by the skin of my teeth.

A recent report prepared for the commerce department found that the United States' share of the world tourism market fell by 20% in the six years to 2006, despite the dollar plummeting to record lows. It said part of the reason for the fall was the hostile reception - long queues, photographs, fingerprints and general rudeness - awaiting many foreign visitors to the US.

Geoff Freeman, executive director of the Discover America Partnership, a coalition of businesses seeking to boost America's image around the globe, said: ‘People find that experience to be awful. They believe they are treated like criminals. The system is an inefficient and unfriendly process. We’re talking about staffing and basic customer service.’

Why am I telling you this? Because I experienced it at first hand when Pam and I arrived on the flight from London.

'How long are you planning to stay?' asked the immigration official when I finally reached the front of the usual interminable queue.

'Until my visa expires in November, hopefully,' I told him. He raised an eyebrow, spent a long time tapping away at his computer, and then said: 'I want you to go to the secondary screening office over there to your right, and answer a few questions.'

My heart sank, and I felt rather as though Winston Smith must have done when he was packed off to room 101. I'd already had an encounter with secondary screening the last time I arrived, to do my walk across America, and I still had the bruises from that occasion.

It was half an hour before I was called forward to stand in front of the desk like some petty offender cowering in the dock.

The officer wasted no time launching into his tirade. 'It says here you want to stay till the end of your visa,'he snapped. 'What makes you think you're entitled to do that? And who gave you an eighteen-month visa, anyway? The maximum is six months.'

I told him that there had been special circumstances involved because I'd been walking across America.

'That makes it even worse,' he persisted angrily. 'You know you're not allowed to work.'

No, walking, I said, making a little gesture with my hand by way of demonstration, two fingers trotting across the desk. He ignored me.

'Just because it says multiple entry doesn't mean you can come in as many times as you like,' he said, inexplicably. 'I'm going to have to send you home, but I can't do anything for now because our system has crashed. Go and sit over there.'

By now Pam had come to find me, and we sat despondently for another half hour or more, discussing what we'd do if I had to leave the country. Then my nemesis summoned me to the bench again to deliver his verdict.

'We've decided to let you in for three months,' he told me. That was a month short of the date my visa expired, but it was better than nothing.

I pushed my luck and pleaded for an extra month, but he was unmoved, still unable to fathom why anyone should want to walk from New York to Los Angeles.

Then Pam had a bright idea. She pulled out a Daily Mirror article about how we'd met, and just as she did so a supervisor strolled over. He took the piece of paper from his colleague, scanned it briefly, and said: 'Give him till November'.

It was an exact replay of the previous time, when they'd made me feel about as welcome as Osama bin Laden, refusing to give me any more than six months until I virtually got down on bended knees in front of the supervisor's supervisor.

I wondered whether it was some kind of choreographed bad-cop-good-cop routine, designed to prevent people from being complacent about being allowed into the country, or whether my oppressor simply failed all the exams at charm school.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Phil,

    I am pleased to hear that the cuttings I took proved useful.

    Looks like you have a sympathetic friend at the EU - today's Guardian :

    EU threatens tit-for-tat visa limits on Americans after US tightens law

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,,2143761,00.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear what has happened to you...but after 9/11...I think this country needs to be a lot more cautious with who gets to come and go.
    Just my humble opinion.

    Oh..congrats on the finishing your walk and your engagment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear, dear Phil,
    I just want to say I really felt sad reading of your experience when returning to our country. How awful. For what it is worth, I have been an American for 57 years, 11 months and 20 days, I've voted in every election since I turned 21 (back then it was "21"), held local public office for 5 years, ran as a volunteer firefighter/EMT for 12 years, plan to run for public office in 2008--and with all those experiences as my credentials as a true American--for what that is worth, I express my sincere apology.
    Love and very best wishes,
    Mary Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Phil & Pam,
    Congratulations, I'm very happy for you both... may you have many adventures together.

    After the wedding you will no longer be persued by Homeland Security but rather Home-land Scrutiny... lol... that is when the IRS ask you such silly questions as "Pam which foot does Phil put into his pants first"... to make sure you are really married... worse than the newly wed game so start taking notes!!

    lol... love Alison from Annapolis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Phil,

    just got back from an outage in Scotland and had a quick look at your blog. How are things?

    Was intrigued about the rather heated comments about what I assume to be men showing off their CK's in public. Personally I've usually found it rather emarrasing when someone has pointed out that my underwear is showing. Also I tend to shop at M&S. Now while I will defend M&S pants until the end of the earth I do realise that their cache is not great.

    At the risk of using another cliche we should just tighten our belts.

    Say hi to Pam from Pips and myself. Hpoe things are going well. Do we need to taske time off from work in the near future?


    Take care

    Stu

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi phil,
    I have read your blog which much interest. My name is Max and I'm 24 years old. I been to new orleans many times and i actually met my fiancee there and we been engaged for a year now. I'm planning on moving to new orleans to be with him but i can totally relate to this incident although i just come on my british passport whenever i visit by partner i found immigration hostile and unfriendly. I'm always the one to have to get my belongings rechecked or scanned and when i explain that i am in a long distance relationship with my partner i'm met with suspicion. Ironically my fiancee hasn't experienced any of this in his visits to london infact he's amazed at how friendly he's been treated. I just came back from a fab time at jazzfest and be back again in the next few months for my birthday. New Orleans is an amazing city!

    ReplyDelete