Sunday, March 1, 2009

At the end of Debbie Fagnano's calliope recital yesterday, I asked her to play You Are My Sunshine. It has very special memories for me, and I'd heard her playing it a couple of times before.

Afterwards, she told me something I didn't know: it's one of the state songs of Louisiana, credited to country music star and two-times state governor Jimmie Davis - though in fact he bought the copyright from the original writer.

It's a strange song, part mourning for a lost love:

The other night, dear
As I lay sleeping
I dreamed I held you in my arms.
When I awoke, dear
I was mistaken
And I hung my head and cried.

This is followed by what sounds like a thinly veiled threat of violence, perhaps a late-night visit from a posse of redneck cousins:

I'll always love you
And make you happy
If you will only say the same
But if you leave me
To love another
You'll regret it all some day.

And then, tacked on at the end, comes this delightful agricultural and culinary irrelevance:

Louisiana my Louisiana
the place where I was born.
White fields of cotton
green fields of clover,
the best fishing
and long tall corn;
Crawfish gumbo and jambalaya
the biggest shrimp and sugar cane,
the finest oysters
and sweet strawberries
from Toledo Bend to New Orleans.

Somehow, it's a good choice of anthem for this tragicomic shambles of a state.

2 comments:

  1. I liked your post but MUST you buy into that baloney about this being a 'tragicomic shambles of a state' - having travelled very widely in the US and glad to call NOLA my home it looks pretty good next to Detroit, or Jersey city, or Kalamazoo, or Flint, or most of L.A. or The Bronx or Buffalow, or Pittsburgh or......need I go on? Now is time to talk up a wonderful city and a beautiful state that if it was an independant country would have the highest standard of living in the US thanks to Oil and gas. Alas it is treated like a colony by the US and then made to feel guilty for asking for anything back.. Keep up the good work!
    Rev Clinton Crawshaw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you, I'm proud to call NOLA home - I think it's an amazing city.

    But you must admit the place is a mess. New Orleans is depopulated, struggling to recover from Katrina, ill prepared for the next big storm, the murder capital of the nation.

    Louisiana is the sixth poorest state, the second most unhealthy, and synonymous with corruption.

    But yes, compared to Flint, Michigan...

    ReplyDelete